Shortcuts to make your life behind the keyboard a bit easier
A Reddit thread has revealed some of the best shortcuts and tips for both PC and Mac, but how many do you know?
- If you type cmd into the address bar of the file explorer it opens command prompt in that directory.
- Pressing F4 in Excel repeats the last command – for example if you highlighted a cell yellow, pressing F4 will repeat the command.
- You can screenshot select parts of a window by selecting the Snipping Tool from the Start bar.
- Always choose “Custom Install” and take your time going through the different messages that come up as you proceed through the installer, as a lot of software will install bulky toolbars onto your computer without you realising.
- Bring up the console on Google Chrome by pressing F12. This can allow you to look at the images on a webpage or even temporarily edit its text.
- Your computer won’t turn on? Try turning it on and off again, seriously.
- ‘Windows key + a direction arrow’ moves the current window to that side of the street.
- ‘Windows Key + L’ will lock your computer
- Clicking a link with the middle mouse button opens the link in a new tab.
- Press K allows you to pause a YouTube video, while J and L go forwards and backwards in 10 second increments.
- ‘Control + Enter’ automatically fills in the ‘www’ and ‘.com’
- ‘Control + Tab’ will go through you browser tabs one by one, going left to right, ‘Control + Shift + Tab’ goes the opposite direction.
- Hold S and right click on an image in Google Chrome to search for the picture on Google.
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)